To write well, you must write what you know.This is what I know......

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Boundaries

"You need boundaries between you and the rest of the world. At some point, you have to make a decision. Boundaries don't keep other people out. They fence you in." -Meredith Grey, Grey's Anatomy

I am completely guilty of setting up too many boundaries in my life. I am fenced in. Trapped. 
I do not date for fear of getting hurt. Boundary. I do not trust men because of traumatic event. Boundary. I have trust issues. Boundary. I do not take risks for fear of failing. Boundary. This list could go on for a good majority of this blog, but for time's sake I'm going to stop. 

There are moments in life when boundaries are acceptable. In my opinion, boundaries work for beginnings of relationships, marriage, and starting a family. There are more boundaries that are acceptable, yet this was all I could think of.

Boundaries eliminate risks. Boundaries draw lines between yourself and whatever it is you are trying to hide from. Eventually, boundaries fence you in. We cannot eliminate all risks in life. We cannot eliminate all boundaries in life. Some point in time, you will have to cross a boundary previously set up. Of course, it will take time. Courage. Strength. Ambition.

I believe boundaries are set up out of fear of something terrible happening. Look at my boundaries: dating, trust, men, failure. The boundaries in my life are set up out of fear. I live in a fence made of fear. It is time to take the fence down. Not all at once....piece by piece.

As Meredith Grey says next, "So, you can waste your life drawing lines, or you can live your life crossing them."

I am going to live my life crossing lines, and not drawing them. I am going to tear down my boundary fence--post by post. It might take weeks, months, years....but the walls are coming down.

I encourage you to look at the boundaries in your life. Re-evaluate. And maybe, you too can tear down the boundary wall and join me---crossing lines.

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment