To write well, you must write what you know.This is what I know......

Sunday, January 8, 2012

It's the End of the World......

“What’s the one thing you’ve always dreamed of doing before you die?”

                                                                        -MEREDITH GREY, GREY’S ANATOMY


You know, I’ve been thinking a lot about death these past three days. Maybe it is because I like to think the Mayans could be correct about the Apocalypse. Maybe it is because Thursday’s episode of Grey’s Anatomy. Death is imminent, unpredictable, and possible.

I asked my parents if they had a will Friday. They do not. I asked them if they would consider a will, and include if they would ever want extraordinary measures taken in extreme circumstances. As the oldest of the family, I feel it would be my duty to carry out my parent’s wishes.

I also considered a will for myself. Is it too early? I’m a ridiculous to think that at the age of twenty-five I would seriously need a will? Maybe it is; maybe it isn’t. Instead of pondering on my will and what will happen to my belongings when I am gone; I’d like to spend my time focusing on living. The present. The here and now, and not the hereafter.  Again, the question punches me in the gut…”what’s the one thing you’ve always dreamed of doing before you die?”



As a kid, I dreamed several times about Neverland. I’d hang out with Peter Pan. We would battle pirates, swim with the mermaids, and rescue Tiger Lily. When I’d return from Neverland, I’d be so excited to show my parents I could fly. And I never could fly. Flying only existed in Neverland. Flying only existed to those who believed in the magic of never growing up.


…”what’s the one thing you’ve always dreamed of doing before you die?”


My dream is to never grow up. While on the outside my body will change and adapt to the years I’ve lived, my heart, mind, and soul will remain forever young. There’s a quote by John Milton, “Childhood shows the man as morning shows the day.”

Growing up is hard. There isn’t one right guide line of rules to give you all the answers to adulthood. The rules we learn in grade school somehow still apply to adulthood. We are all children running around on the playground trying to fit in….STILL!

My dream is to never grow up. Think one happy thought and you can fly. Life isn’t magical pixie dust. It is real, tough, and in your face. Life won’t leave you alone until you take your last breath. Life is happy moments. Life is sad moments. Life is regret. Life is learning. Life is growing up.


Think one happy thought and you can fly. Maybe if we all had a little Neverland in us—we could never outgrow the child in us.

No comments:

Post a Comment