To write well, you must write what you know.This is what I know......

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

HOW INSENSITIVE

“No matter how thick skinned we try to be there’s millions of electrifying nerve endings in there.”
                                                                                                                                              -Grey’s Anatomy
I am the type of person who does not hide my emotions well. When I am angry, I stay quiet and I am 100% focused. When I am happy, I’m glowing and I’m always smiling. When I am sad, the tears flow and there is no way to stop it until I have cried it all out. I am easily to read emotionally, this can be a good thing; this can be a bad thing.
                As an actor, I know I have chosen a career where I have to do my best to be thick skinned. Otherwise, allowing the constant rejection to affect me would prevent me from ever trying again.
Not to say that after an audition or another rejection I won’t scream or cry. I will just allow myself to be effected by it for fifteen minutes and then I will let it go. I can only control what I can control.
Last week, I was hurt by something that was said to me. I had asked a family member to validate my feelings. The response was, “I don’t understand. You’re a grown woman.” I found this to be completely untrue. No matter how old we get, we still have feelings that are very real to us. Whether or not someone will see them as sane or insane, the feelings are still very real to the person having them.
It is okay to have emotions. It is okay to be thick skinned. Being thick skinned does not necessarily mean you are apathetic, it just means you are confident. Thick skin encourages bravery, and you will always know you can survive and get through another day.


No comments:

Post a Comment